Wednesday 30 March 2011

Dyspraxia and Rose

Defination for dyspraxia from Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Health Professions:-
Apartial loss of the ability to preform skilled, coordinated movements in the absence of any associated defect in motor sensory function.

A person with dyspraxia has problems with movement and coordination. It is also known as "motor learning disability". Somebody with dyspraxia finds it hard to carry out smooth and coordinated movements. Dyspraxia often comes with language problems, and sometimes a degree of difficulty with perception and thought. Dyspraxia does not affect a person's intelligence, but it can cause learning difficulties, especially for children.

Dyspraxia is also known as Developmental Co-ordination Disorder (DCD), Perceptuo-Motor Dysfunction, and Motor Learning Difficulties. The terms Clumsy Child Syndrome or Minimal Brain Damage are no longer used.
When Rose started talking I thought that she was a lazy talker because she would never say the her words properly.  I would never talk to her in what you would call baby talk I thought that taught her bad speaking habits.  It was frustrating to me that people would come up to me and say what is she saying because as her mum I knew what she was saying. 

Roes also was always falling over or running into things and what has amazed me to this day she has not had a broken bone.  So I know that Jesus is watching over her and is keeping her safe like he kept me safe as a young girl.  Like above people kept saying to me gee she is clumsy I would shrug it of and say that is just Roes.

It is hard but now when people say oh she cant run or cant speak properly or mixes words up I now say she has dyspraxia and is dylexica and she is perfect the way she is.

Jesus made her this way for a purpose and he has set out her path.      

  

2 comments:

  1. Fiona ~ It is amazing how Jesus watches our children and directs them even in their speaking. Kyle, my son, even though I seem to have to ALWAYS help people understand him, like you very frustrating, Kyle found his voice. He is a quiet soul anyway but when he says something it is always so wise and meaningful. He is a senior and is in speech therapy and occasionally still has to resort back to his oral exercises. I sometimes have to remind him of his self awareness. If he forgets his speech becomes slurred & fast.
    When I told him about Rose he was really glad to hear he isn't alone. Its not common to find others with dyspraxia. Rose is so lucky and blessed to have you as her mother and as she is a blessing to you. I was told once "God chooses the parents to have children of disabilities" God doesn't make mistakes...Kyle says he reminds himself of this a lot because he knows that God made him this way for a reason. God Bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank God everyday for Rose. She has brought joy to my life.

    ReplyDelete